Tuesday, March 9, 2010

in the woodworks (iii)


In homage to the great Audrey Kawasaki, I've started painting on wood. I love how the grain shows through the image. The transparency of the gouache on the pine adds a dynamic layer to the imagery. I find painting on this material to be an organic experience with rawness and depth beyond that of paper or canvas. I've also tried to challenge my drawing, and avoided using grids or lines to draw the base design. As a result these paintings show a degree of naivety, yet they are sincere in their portrayal.
Big thank yous go out to:
Laila Masri for exposing me to the beauty that is Audrey Kawasaki and for her continued support of my art explorations. You are an inspiration beyond words!
MO FIA aka Dal Sutherland for capturing images and a side of me I could never see!
Brandy Reece, Kali Meier, and Shannon Blake my North American lovaaaaahs! Leanne Knibbs, and Holly Conry, you blonde bombshells! Thank you for letting me appropriate your beautiful faces in my artistic endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment